SACA disappointed with T20 global league postponement

The South African Cricketers’ Association (SACA) has expressed its concern and disappointment at the announcement by Cricket SA of the postponement of the T20 Global League, which had been scheduled to start on November 3. The T20 GL was set to involve 144 players who are either contracted or drafted to play for eight privately owned city-based teams operating from eight different stadia across South Africa.
“Confirmation of postponement of the League was communicated to me in a teleconference of CSA’s Board and Members Council,” said Tony Irish, chief executive of SACA. “At this stage we’re unsure of exactly what a postponement means other than the fact that it’s clear the league will not take place this year. We will be seeking clarity from CSA on the further implications.”
“This has a very significant impact on a large number of local and overseas players, all of whom have signed contracts to play in the league. Some players turned down other opportunities in order to commit themselves to these contracts. We will be looking at all implications of this for players, including what compensation should be paid to them.”
“SACA is well aware of the fact that this will also affect various other groups including franchises, coaches and stadium owners. I think it will be necessary for CSA to appoint its own independent review into what has actually transpired here as there are significant implications across South African cricket,” said Irish.
Cricket South Africa (CSA) earlier confirmed that the T20 Global League has been postponed until November 2018. The postponement comes in the wake of former CSA CEO Haroon Lorgat’s resignation in September. Interim CSA CEO Thabang Moroe said that CSA would be facing a $25 million (R342 million) loss for the staging of the tournament.
“We have not come to this decision lightly,” said Moroe. “Having discussed it with all our stakeholders including the franchise owners, we believe that the interest of the league should be our first priority. We have re-assessed our strategy and believe that postponing the first edition of the T20 Global League to next year will serve us well.
We will regroup and come back stronger and better. At this time, we also wish to thank all the players, sponsors, broadcast partners, SACA (South African Cricketers Association) and FICA (Federation of International Cricketers) who have committed to the project. We appreciate the continued support of the individuals and organisations who have believed in this tournament,” added Moroe.
The franchise owners are in support of the decision. “Having discussed it with Mr. Moroe and Mr. Nenzani, we have arrived at a unanimous decision to defer the inaugural edition to next year. We believe it is in the best interest of the tournament to do so,” said Osman Osman, from the Pretoria Mavericks.

Please follow and like us: